On June 18th we took the opportunity to celebrate Father’s Day and honor all of the important men in our lives, but there is another way we can show those fathers and men how important they are to us. June is National Men’s Health Month. This is the time to encourage the important men in our lives to take preventive health measures and increase awareness of diseases that are common among men. Consider these statistics shared by The Men’s Health Network:
- On average, men live roughly 5 years less than women
- One in two men will develop some type of cancer
- Men have a higher rate for most leading causes of death, including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and suicide
- Men are more likely to be uninsured than women
- Men make half as many preventive physician visits as women
Men that take part in preventive care measures and adopt healthy lifestyle habits can improve their overall health and lower the rate of the statistics listed above. So, encourage the men in your life to make healthy choices and take a proactive approach to their health. The gift of good health is the best gift one can give.